Sunday, October 4, 2009

15 days and the K.o.P.


Well it's just 15 short days till my initiation now! A couple of very cool things took place this weekend. It was my birthday on Friday, and it is a scant 3 years now till the big 4-0! I can clearly remember things that happen over 30 years ago, hopefully when I am 70 I can remember those days as clearly as I do now!

My mother gave me one of the best birthday presents ever... my grandfathers Knights of Pythias ring. His involvement in the KoP was one of my reasons to join Freemasonry. Although different, some similarities seem to exist between the organizations. The simple 3 word creeds of the FM and KoP are similar, Fraternity, Relief, Truth and Freindship, Charity, Benevolence. Since my Grandpa died when I was 11, I never really got to know him that well or ask him about his involvement in KoP. I was however, always proud of his affiliation with an organization that requires similar character traits as FM. Since petitioning I found out when he recieved his degrees and exactly which lodge he attended! Here's to you Grandpa! Love you!


Garvin Esmund Preston

Page: March 25 1961

Esquire: April 22 1961

Knight: May 27 1961

Royal City #6

New Westminster BC Canada


7 comments:

  1. I liked the story about your grandfather, and the Knights of Pythias ring looked really cool, too. What a nice present!

    It's also interesting to see how the ideals of the KoP and the Masons sort of coincide, right down to the somewhat parallel degree structure.

    I'm counting your days, BTW...11 more days and counting for you as of today! Also, happy belated birthday! I'll bet you can't wait until the 19th, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually it's the 20th, but yeah I'm really excited! Have you been ring shopping yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, as a matter of fact. I did some ring shopping on eBay and have just received my ring (it is simulated gold and has a square & compass on it). I'll post a picture of it sometime in the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, LS. A lot of 19th century fraternal groups copied Freemasonry. Trevor in the Grand Lodge library received an old fez from the D.O.K.K., which is the Pythian version of the Shrine.

    Unfortunately, LS, I see that our 1st Degree ceremony falls three days before yours (a friend is in the same predicament, his E.A. degree is two days after yours). However, after you become a member, feel free to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I noticed the same similarities in the I.O.O.F. as well. Kind of makes you wonder if these other fraternities were organized by men who were looking for something that FM didn't offer or found that Freemasonry didn't meet their expectations.

    No worries Justa, i'll definitly take a rain check and will be sure to make Southern Cross #44 one of the first on my list to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And someday, when I get up to British Columbia, I will also have to visit your Lodges, Brothers...

    ReplyDelete