Saturday, August 22, 2009

1 week before the vote.....

It has taken more than a week to compose this latest entry. I have always found it difficult to put my feelings to print or to words. I think it mostly come from having so many thoughts and emotions that it can sometimes be hard to form them together in a consice, logical format. As the month has rolled by and I have thought of the brethren of the Lodge I have petitioned get ready to come back from summer, one of their first duties will be to vote on my request to join them. I have struggled to find the words to describe what joining such a fraternity has meant to me. So like I'm sure many men have done before me I have tried to read what other masons have put to paper, and one man's writings keep pulling me forward; Manly Hall. I think I have read the Lost Keys of Freemasonry at least a dozen times, that is only up and to the end of the exerpt about the Entered Apprentice. I just can't bring myself to read further. I don't want to spoil the 'suprise'. The emotions that he describes match my own, it is sometimes un-nerving, but comforting at the same time. How does a man at 25 write so beautifully and so sussinctly about feelings shared by men from all over the world, from so many creeds, religions, and cultures.



I would guess that the comfort I get comes from knowing that I am not alone as I stand at the beginning of my journey. I can close my eyes and feel the presence of men all over the world standing at my back, not pushing me forward, but not letting me retreat in fear of not living up to my own expectations. The story of Chillon pacing in his cell, listening to the waves swish and lap, yearning to feel the warm light of the open sky, is not unknown to me. I have felt like I had some kind of unfinished work to do, but never could put my finger on the means to continue it. And in 1 short week it will be decided whether or not I will be presented the tools to begin that work!



'Many have read the story of the prisoner of Chillon who paced back and forth in the narrow confines of his prison cell, while the blue waters rolled ceaselessly above his head and the only sound that broke the stillness of his eternal night was the constant swishing and lapping of the waves. We pity the prisoner in his physical tomb and we are sad at heart, for we know how life loves liberty. But there is one prisoner whose plight is far worse than those of earth. He has not even the narrow confines of a prison cell around Him; He cannot pace ceaselessly to and fro and wear ruts in the cobblestones of His dungeon floor. That eternal Prisoner is Life incarnate within the dark stone walls of matter, with not a single ray to brighten the blackness of His fate. He fights eternally, praying in the dark confines of gloomy walls for light and opportunity. This is the eternal Prisoner who, through the ceaseless ages of cosmic unfoldment, through forms unnumbered an d species now unknown, strives eternally to libe rate Himself and gain self conscious expression, the birthright of every created thing. He awaits the day when, standing upon the rocks that now form His shapeless tomb, He may raise His arms to heaven, bathed in the sunlight of spiritual freedom, free to join the sparkling atoms and dancing light-beings released from the bonds of prison wall and tomb.'
exerpt from The Lost Keys of Freemasonry; the Candidate, Manly P. Hall

8 comments:

  1. When is the Stated Meeting when the vote wil take place, and how soon do you think you'll hear the verdict? Good wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mentor called me 2 nights ago, should be voting on Teusday night. he assured me that it will go positivly, and he will call immediatly after the meeting! I'm feeling pretty good about the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news! I'll be checking your blog come Tuesday night. Also, my lessons went well earlier this week...I'm cleared to take my FC degree next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Killing me, vote was last night! Mentor was supposed to call me, maybe it was too late. Now my mind is working overtime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LS, I'm guessing it was favourable. I got a note from a certain Secretary of a Lodge that No. 120 is holding off this month's EA Degree until October because another application has come in and the Lodge would like to initiate three in October.

    If that's the case, note that Oct. 23, Lodge Southern Cross in Vancouver is holding a 1st Degree and you would be able to go and see it.

    Justa

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, yes it was! Thanks for the heads up, I really want to get out and experience different 'work' styles. What kind of arrangments would I have to make as far as being recognized. A letter from my WM? Or by the signs and tokens I will receive at my initiation?

    ReplyDelete
  7. LS, the easier way is go with another Bro. from your Lodge who can vouch for you. An EA or FC does not pay dues and thus has no documentation that he is a Mason (which reminds me, there's an anachronism in our Constitution which needs fixing).
    You may very well be asked to give signs and tokens; if someone vouches for you it should be unnecessary. However, you will learn some Masons .. even long-standing ones .. are confused about procedure.
    Visiting No. 44 on your own shouldn't be a problem. Just tell Lorne to get a Form 56 in right away :)

    Justa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Justa! Since there are going to be 3 of us initiated, maybe I can get us all to come plus a Bro. or two.

    ReplyDelete