Sunday, July 26, 2009

Meeting new friends!


This weekend I had the opportunity to meet face to face with a pair of brothers,Drew and Rob, during some free time while attending my sister-in-laws wedding. Let me start off by saying that these two gentlemen are shining examples of what I percieve to be the best reasons to join Freemasonry. After meeting both of these men via the 'intra-net' and getting past the basic introductions both were more than happy to extend themselves, and their time to me. Having some free time away from wedding prep, I was able to meet them downtown Edmonton, and spend an hour talking about how we all were led down the different highways in life, but met at the same crossroads.

One a son of missionaries, punk rock band member, the other a freestyle skier, and downhill longboarder. As we gathered together over drinks at a local coffee shop, I remarked of how I thought the 3 of us were definetly NOT the face of FM today, and could not have been corrected more quickly by these two fellows! I should mention that until this day both men did not know each other, and they quickly related to me that at least in their own Lodges, that the face of FM has indeed started to become a younger one and one continuing to be filled with many different roads and experiences that have led these men to their Lodges.


It was really cool to be able to spend an hour with these two gentlemen, and hear their personal experiences while exploring the world since discovering FM. Drew had a great story about Cuba, and although he never was able to confim that his relief came directly from a brother there, it had to have been more than mere coincedence! When the three of us parted company that afternoon it was very apparant that I had gained not only two good friends, but if all goes well at my Lodges vote on my petition, I have gained two brothers of man as well. Cheers to you both!



3 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Fraternity! I'm delighted that you have chosen to knock at our West Gate. I made the choice last year, and have met many extraordinary friends whom I later discovered to be brothers.

    What separates a mason from other men is his Obligation. You will meet masons who live that Obligation in everything they do, and others for whom living up to their Obligation is a struggle. As long as you make your own personal progress your primary concern, and if you remember that the Master Mason degree is the beginning of your journey rather than the end, you will grow and flourish in our Fraternity.

    Your Grand Lodge's website is a wonderful source of knowledge. Keep learning before, during, and after your degree work. We are a volunteer organization, and the password that opens all the gates (the one I'm not obliged to keep secret) is "What can I do to help?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome to hear about your new friends and soon-to-be brothers. Quite a few people that I met at my Lodge are also young...and there's a big influx of new members. This is an exciting time to join the Fraternity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful story. Whenever I travel on vacations I always make a point to see Masonic sites and visit lodges.

    ReplyDelete